Saturday, November 22, 2008

Q & A #2

A reader asked this question:

" Is there some kind of association you joined to learn how to take care of such an exotic pet?"

When I was given Stinkerbell as a birthday present, I was working at the pet store as the General Manager. In the state of Florida, skunks are considered an exotic pet and in order to own or sell an exotic pet you must have a Class 3 Wildlife license.

This is obtainable through the Florida Fish & Wildlife department. The application and questionnaire can be downloaded and printed, and must be mailed in. There is no fee, but you must do a little research in order to complete the questionnaire to the satisfaction of the FWC.

The purpose of the questionnaire is to ensure that someone obtaining an exotic pet knows what they are getting into and is willing to care for that pet in an appropriate manner. Skunks are not like rabbits or ferrets, which are caged the majority of the time. They need exercise on a regular basis and enjoy being a part of the household like a dog or cat.

I did the majority of my research online, wikipedia and google were both very helpful, as was the FWC's info on pet skunks and their requirements according to state regulations.

Once I sent in the application and questionnaire, it was only about a week until I received my license in the mail.

While I was waiting, she stayed at the pet store, which also gave us time to get the house prepared.

1 comment:

Me said...

I noticed your dogs get freaked out easily by her..is that because she looks like a Queen Cat or something..like the Queen Alien in the movies that will mess you up by just looking your way?

Totally wish I could get one here but I think it would be incredibly expensive and time consuming.

Was it easy to house train her?