Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What Do Skunks Eat?

In the wild, skunks eat bugs, small rodents, fruits and veggies and whatever else they can scavenge.

As a pet, Stinkerbell is a bit more domestic. The main part of her diet is vegetables and a few fruits. She also gets a little bit of dairy in the form of low-fat cottage cheese or plain yogurt, and some protein in the form of pellets made by Exotic Nutrition and sometimes a few kernels of dog kibble. As a treat, I bring home a few super meal worms which she LOVES.

Most evenings, we microwave some frozen veggies for about a minute and then add the diary ingredient, pellets and some Vita-Skunk.

Once a week or so I give her some fresh fruit in with her dinner - a piece of apple or nectarine cut up.

Most of my research when we first got The Stink said that skunks will eat anything. Stinkerbell apparently didn't read the same research and has turned out to be pretty picky.

She WILL eat:
Fresh mushrooms, sliced (not whole)
Fresh carrots, sliced or baby
Peas
Corn
Cheese
Apples
Nectarines
Jalapenos (her FAVORITE)
Eggs
Cucumbers
Any color bell peppers
Strawberries
Mango
Pineapple

She will NOT eat:
Cauliflower
Lima Beans
Tomatoes
Blueberries
Bananas
Squash
Cooked Carrots
Limes
Watermelon
Papaya

Dog AND Cat food are very intriguing to the skunk and unfortunately are too high in protein to be good for her, so they are off-limits for the most part. A few dog kibbles are ok, but the cat food is far too high in protein to be safe for her to eat on a regular basis.

3 comments:

Me said...

Lucky thing.. eats better than I do.

Ellyn said...

My son asked me this question. Found you through google. Thanks for filling us in.
I never knew people kept them at pets.

cavapoo lover said...

Thanks for this Blog ! I loved reading it. I have been watching a skunk in my yard almost every night. I also saw a documentary that showed them eating honey bees as they flew out of the hive. Skunks are adorable.